Friday, November 19, 2010

Do you think that either plays a role in how you respond to teachers and your academic role here at Wilson?

I believe that operant conditioning plays a big role in how I respond to teachers because I have seen what happens when students disrespect their teachers. For instance, I know that if I were to talk back to a teacher because of a bad grade I would get in trouble. As a result, the probability of getting a bad grade, the stimulus, causing me to talk back, the response, will decrease due to the fact that I would get in trouble, the punishment stimulus, which would make me upset.
~~Maggie Lawrence

I also believe that operant conditioning plays a large role in how I respond to teachers and my academic role in Wilson.  I know that when I study, I hopefully will receive a good grade.  After I receive a good grade, generally teachers will acknowledge my hard work.  Therefore, I have been conditioned that when I study, I receive good grades and "praise."  From this conditioning, I will most likely always study since I expect and want good grades.
 ~~Amanda Horvat

1 comment:

  1. When looking at the respondence towards teachers and the academic role at Wilson, I would say that both classical and operant play an important role; however, operant conditioning has a larger impact. For classical conditioning, sometimes I try a new study routine, but come test day I am either tired or sick. The illness or tiredness, the unconditioned stimulus, makes me do poorly on the test, the unconditioned response, but I blame the study routine and do not try it for the next test. For operant conditioning, I have my study habits that I know will allow me to receive excellent grades. Teachers at Wilson exempt students from the final exam if they maintain an "A" average for the year. Therefore, my study habits are seen in my life more frequently. The exemption from the final exam is a negative reinforcement because something is taken away that increases the behavior (my study habits and studying in general).

    ReplyDelete